verwehte-spuren
  Adegem
 
Kanadischer Soldatenfriedhof:

Der kanadische Soldatenfriedhof befindet sich an der Prins Boudewijnlaan 46  in Adegem. Auf dem Friedhof befinden sich insgesamt 1144 Soldatengräber aus dem 2. Weltkrieg und 1 Soldatengrab aus dem 1. Weltkrieg. Nach Nationalitäten aufgegliedert handelt es sich bei den Soldatengräbern aus dem 2. Weltkrieg um 848  Kanadier, 256 Briten, 33 Polen, 2 Australier, 2 Neuseeländer und 2 Franzosen und bei dem Soldatengrab aus dem 1. Weltkrieg um 1 Briten.



Bild von dem Eingang des kanadischen Soldatenfriedhofes. Auf der rechten Seite vor dem Eingang befindet sich eine Informationstafel.


Am Eingang steht auf der linken Säule Folgendes:

ADEGEM CANADIAN
1939


Am Eingang steht auf der rechten Säule Folgendes:

WAR CEMETERY
1945



Bild von der Informationstafel, die vor dem Eingang auf der rechten Seite steht. Der Informationstext ist von links nach rechts auf Englisch, Niederländisch und Französisch abgebildet.


Auf der Informationstafel steht auf Englisch Folgendes:

THE LIBERATION OF BELGIUM AND THE NETHERLANDS
AND THE ADVANCE INTO GERMANY
SEPTEMBER 1944 - MAY 1945

In the three months following their landing in Normandy the
Allied armies had defeated the German Army in France,
liberated Brussels, captured Antwerp and, in the east, reached a
line running southwards along the Moselle through the Vosges
to the Swiss frontier.


On 17th September, with the object of outflanking the
Siegfried Line, two American airborne divisions were dropped
in the Nijmegen area and one British at Arnhem to clear the
path for British Second Army. Speedy defensive concentration
and bad weather prevented full success; the crossing of the
rivers Maas and Waal were secured but that of the lower Rhine
at Arnhem had to be abandoned after an epic stand by the
British 1st Airborne Division assisted by the Dutch Resistance.


By late September the Allied advance had outrun the logistic
capacity to support it. The Channel ports, exept for Dunkirk,
were in Allied hands but unusable until bombing damage had
been repaired, and the lines of supply and reinforcement ran
back to Normandy. Antwerp, with the help of the Belgian
Resistance captured intact, was unusable so long as both shores
of the Scheldt estuary remained in German hands.

The south shore was finally cleared by Canadian I Corps on 2nd
November after a month of hard fighting. The clearance of the
north shore and Walcheren Island, completed on 8th November,
involved some bitterly contested combined operations by
British and Canadian troops. The mined approaches to Antwerp
were swept and the port quickly restored. The shortened
supply lines thus gained marked a turning point in the
campaign.


By early December, as a result of the Allied November
offensive, British Second and Canadian First Armies lay along
the Maas and Waal. American Ninth had reached the Roer,
American Third was pushing forward into the Saar and French
First Army had reached the Rhine at Mulhouse.


On 16th December the Germans launched their last counter-
offensive of the war against the lightly held Ardennes sector. Its
object was to recapture Brussels and Antwerp thus cutting the
Allies' supply lines. The advance, 50 miles at its maximum, was
halted on Christmas eve. On 3rd January the Americans, with
some British reinforcement, struck back and within 4 days the
Germans were withdrawing. Meanwhile British Second Army
eliminated the bridgehead west of the Roer and the Americans
and French dealt similarly with the salient south of Strasbourg.

The last main battle of the campaign began on 8th February
with an attack by Canadian First and British Second Armies
from the Nijmegen bridgehead south-east through the Siegfried
Line and the Reichswald into Germany itself. On the 17th,
American Ninth Army attacked north-eastward and, after
intense fighting, the armies made contact on 3rd March in
Geldern. To the south, by 9th March American First and Third
Armies had secured bridgeheads at Mannheim and Oppenheim.

 Preceded by intensive air and artillery bombardments the
passage of the Rhine was successfully accomplished by the
British and Canadians on the evening of 23rd March. By the
following evening the bridgeheads had been expanded to link
up with the British 6th and American 17th Airborne Divisions
dropped that morning to the north of Wesel. Further
crossings in strength followed and, by 3rd April, the British and
Canadians had taken Osnabruck and were approaching Minden,
American First and Ninth Armies had encircled the Ruhr,
trapping large German forces, and in the south French First and
American Seventh had crossed the Rhine. This battle marked
the end of co-ordinated German defence although improvised
battle groups continued to resist stoutly until late April.

First contact with the westward advancing Russians was made
on 25th April. By that time Canadian First Army had reached
the North Sea Coast and contained the large German force cut
off in west Holland.
British Second Army, with a corps in
Denmark and another in Schleswig-Holstein, was on the Elbe
from its mouth to Wittenberge, southward of which American
First and Ninth Armies lay along that river. Further south
French First and American Seventh Armies were in Austria and
American Third had entered Czechoslovakia. Final German
capitulation came on 8th May and after five years and eight
months of war Europe was again at peace.

The Commonwealth servicemen who died in the campaign are
mostly buried in war cemeteries, and Commonwealth sections
of other cemeteries, along the line of advance. Allied command
of the air played a large part in the success of the
campaign and many of the airmen who died during operations
over Europe are buried singly or in small groups in village
cemeteries and churchyards where their graves are tended
with loving care by the local communities. The 1.062 soldiers
whose graves are unknown are commemorated on the memorial
in Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery and the missing sailors
and airmen on memorials at their home ports or at Runnymede,
England.


ADEGEM CANADIAN WAR CEMETERY
The majority of the soldiers buried here were killed between
early October and the beginning of November 1944 in the
operations by Canadian First Army to clear the south shore of
the Scheldt. The bodies of many Canadians killed elsewhere in
Belgium were also brought here for burial. There are 1,145
burials - Navy 13, Army 998, Air Force 131, Merchant Navy 1 -
of which 848 are Canadian, 256 British, 2 Austrailian, 2 New
Zealand, 35 other Allied and 2 unidentified. One unknown
British casualty of the First World War is also buried here.


THIS CEMETERY
WAS BUILT AND IS MAINTAINED BY THE
COMMONWEALTH WAR GRAVES COMMISSION

ARCHITECT : PHILIP HEPWORTH




Blick vom Eingang auf den Friedhof.



Blick auf das linke Gräberfeld vom Eingang aus gesehen.



Blick auf das rechte Gräberfeld vom Eingang aus gesehen.



Blick auf die vorderen Grabreihen vom linken Gräberfeld.



Blick auf die vorderen Grabreihen vom rechten  Gräberfeld.



Bild von dem großen Gedenkkreuz.



Blick auf die hinteren Grabreihen vom linken Gräberfeld.



Blick auf die hinteren Grabreihen vom rechten Gräberfeld.



Bild von dem Pavillon, in dem sich links und rechts ein Gedenkstein in der Mauer befindet. Des Weiteren befindet sich in der Mitte eine Klappe, hinter der sich, das Friedhofregister und das Gästebuch befinden. Über der Klappe befindet sich ebenfalls ein Gedenkstein in der Mauer.


Auf dem linken Gedenkstein steht Folgendes:

LE TERRAIN
DE CE CIMETIERE A ETE
OFFERT EN DON PAR LE
PEUPLE BELGE POUR OUE
PUSSENT Y REPOSER
A JAMAIS LES RESTE'S DES
MARINS DES SOLDATS
ET DES AVIATEURS
A LA MEMOIRE DESOUELS
HONNEUR EST ICI RENDU


Auf dem rechten Gedenkstein steht Folgendes:

DE GROND WAAROP DIT
KERKHOF ZICH BEVINDT
IS EEN GIFT
VAN HET BELGISCHE VOLK
VOOR DE EEUWIGE
RUSTPLAATS VAN DE
ZEELIEDEN SOLDATEN
EN VLIEGENIERS
DIE HIER
GEEERD WORDEN


THE LAND ON WHICH
THIS CEMENTRY STANDS
IS THE GIFT OF
THE DUTCH PEOPLE
FOR THE
PERPETUAL RESTING PLACE
OF THE
SAILORS SOLDIERS
AND AIRMEN
WHO ARE
HONOURED HERE



Bild von dem mittleren Gedenkstein und von der Klappe, hinter der sich das Friedhofregister und das Gästebuch befinden.


Auf dem mittleren Gedenkstein steht Folgendes:

1939 - 1945


THE LAND ON WHICH
THIS CEMENTRY STANDS
IS THE GIFT OF
THE BELGIAN PEOPLE FOR THE
PERPETUAL RESTING PLACE
OF THE SAILORS
SOLDIERS AND AIRMEN
WHO ARE HONOURED HERE


Auf der Klappe steht Folgendes:

+
CEMETERY
REGISTER



Blick auf den Eingang vom Pavillon aus gesehen.



Blick auf das linke Gräberfeld vom Pavillon aus gesehen.



Blick auf das rechte Gräberfeld vom Pavillon aus gesehen.



Bild von einigen Grabsteinen.



Weiteres Bild von einigen Grabsteinen.



Weiteres Bild von einigen Grabsteinen.



Weiteres Bild von einigen Grabsteinen.



Weiteres Bild von einigen Grabsteinen.



Weiteres Bild von einigen Grabsteinen.



Weiteres Bild von einigen Grabsteinen.



At the going down of the sun and in the morning: We will remember them
 
  Insgesamt: 176631 Besucher